It has been hazy these past few days in Penang, Malaysia and it causes health problems. Many are seen coughing, having skin allergies and the haze can cause asthma attacks. We need to keep ourselves healthy and immune system strong in order not to fall sick especially in such a bad condition.
We would like to share with you some tips and steps you can take to keep yourself healthy.
- Drink enough water everyday to keep yourself hydrated. It is recommended that you drink about 2 litres of water per day.
- Eat a well-balanced diet that is low in cholesterol and fat and moderate in salt and sugar. The term ‘diet’ does not mean that you need to cut down on food or stop eating to become slim. The word ‘diet’ in the dictionary means “the types of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats“.
- Eat a lot of fruits and vegetables.
- Sleep and rest well. Adults are recommended to get at least 8 hours of sleep a day. The sleeping time might decrease as you age but do get enough rest when tired.
- Exercise regularly. We have previously talked about exercising in one of our previous blog posts. It is recommended to exercise at least 2 hours and 30 minutes of moderate-instensity aerobics activity per week, according to U.S.A.’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Have healthy bowel movement. Yes, we are talking about s-h-i-t and to ensure that you get rid of it. You need to visit the washroom at least once a day to pass motion.
- Keep your hygiene up. Remember to bathe regularly, brush your teeth, wash your hair, trim your nails and wash your hands when it is dirty.
- Try not to smoke.
- If you consume alcohol, drink in moderation.
- Stay positive and happy. If you are feeling upset and stressed, try to relieve stress and do something that makes you happy. It is like what they sing in the song of “My Favourite Things” from The Sound of Music : “… when I’m feeling sad, I simply remember my favourite things and then I don’t feel, so bad“.
We hope that you will keep yourself healthy for your own good or even for your loved ones. Your loved ones will worry if you are ill and no one would like to see their loved ones suffer. So, let’s not make your loved ones worry.